Savannah: 912-233-1100
Atlanta: 770-948-5454

≡ Menu

Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney – The Insurance adjustor has asked me to sign a release for my property damage, should I?

In Georgia, it is important to know that when you are involved in a car accident, the status of the accident will determine what type of claims you may have. For example if your car is damaged and there are no injuries, then you have what is called a property damage claim. If you are injured and your car is damaged you have two separate claims, one is the property damage claim, and the other is what is called the bodily injury claim or BI claim.

A property damage claim consist of the cost of repairing your vehicle if the adjuster does not declare the car a total loss. Total loss means it would cost more to repair the car than the car would be worth, often times they will pay the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of the loss. Some other cost which are associated with property damage claims are diminished value, or property in the vehicle which may be damaged as a result of a collision. Often times receipts help substantiate or verify that you had work done on a vehicle prior to the collision, these also have value to your property damage claim. If you wear eyeglasses and they are damaged as a result of the auto accident, you could be entitled to replacement glasses.

Many people are upset when they find that the insurance company does not have to pay what they owe on the car. There are exceptions to every rule, and therefore it is always important to seek from someone who handles property damage claims if you have legal questions.

Anytime you are asked to sign any document, it is best to seek legal counsel so you know exactly what you are signing and what you are entitled to as a result of signing any documents. It is best to contact legal counsel prior to speaking with the insurance company so that your legal rights are protected in advance and you have someone who knows what is required and what is not required to process a claim and resolve a property damage claim. Often times information is requested that is not required to process a claim.

If you have been involved in any type of car accident and have spoken to the insurance company and they ask you to sign anything, call my office at 770-948-5454 and I will see if I can be of any assistance.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Our Books

Have A Question? We Likely Have The Answer.

Your Nolo Profile

L. Ty WilsonReviewsout of 32 reviews


  • Awesome Lawyer and very helpful!

  • Mr. Wilson is truly a very good person who cares about people. I understand he selected this career but I do know he makes many sacrifices to help he’s clients. I am very grateful to have had him as my attorney and if I ever have to use one again (hopefully not) it will be Mr. Wilson.

  • He worked with me. He told me everything. He called me. He gave me all the information.

  • He will be my family lawyer from now until the end because I can trust him.

  • He's just a great guy.

  • He always calls you right back and even if it's on the weekend - he's going to call you back.

  • View All