When it comes down to drivers versus pedestrians, many Savannah drivers are not sure of who has the right of way. By the same token, many pedestrians assume that they have the right of way. This can often lead to accidents where a pedestrian ends up being hit by a vehicle. Unfortunately, these types of accidents often end in serious injury or death.
Educating yourself on Georgia’s laws is extremely important. There are laws that many drivers and pedestrians are not aware of. For example, did you know?
- The law in Georgia requires drivers to stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, even when the pedestrian isn’t in the driver’s lane.
- A driver must remain stopped until the pedestrian has finished crossing the side of the road onto which the driver is turning.
- Before turning right or left on a green light, you must stop for pedestrians. They have the right of way.
While these laws may seem like common sense, few people are well-versed in law as it pertains to driving and pedestrian rights. Strangely though, Atlanta pedestrians are often found at fault in vehicle-pedestrian accidents except for those which involve vehicles hitting pedestrians while backing up and other similar situations.
Regardless, you should know what to do in the event that you are involved in this type of accident. Whether you are the driver or the pedestrian, you should take the same precautions and steps following an accident:
- Call 911 immediately – even if you are unsure of your injuries.
- Write down the names, contact information and comments of any witnesses if able.
- Take pictures of the area, scene of the accident or anything else you believe to be important.
- Give a report to the emergency authorities when they arrive.
Even if you are unsure of who is at fault, you should still seek the legal advice of an experienced Savannah injury attorney like Ty Wilson, who knows the law and can help you seek recovery if you are entitled to it. If you are shaken up or injured after an accident, legal and insurance matters should be the last thing you should have to worry about. Call injury attorney Ty Wilson and let him handle it for you.
Savannah personal injury lawyer Ty Wilson is dedicated to not only helping, but also educating those who have been injured as well as their families. Call 1-866-937-5454 to order books and reports that Ty offers to the public free of charge.