Savannah: 912-233-1100
Atlanta: 770-948-5454

≡ Menu

Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney – Can I apply for Georgia Medicaid to pay for my injuries related to my car accident?

Many people become injured as the result of a car crash or other accident and don’t know how they’re going to pay for medical care. Even if you don’t have health insurance, there are still viable options for you to receive medical care in Georgia. If you are unable to afford other healthcare options, you may be eligible to receive Medicaid from the Georgia Department of Community Health. If you receive Medicaid benefits, some or all of your medical bills can be paid by the DCH.

You must meet certain financial requirements to be eligible to receive Medicaid benefits. Typically, a person can receive Medicaid if they are a child living in a low-income household, are pregnant, or are a senior over the age of 65. Others may be eligible to receive Medicaid if they have a disability such as blindness, or that prevents them from being able to work.

If you become eligible for Medicaid based on a disability, this must be supported with a letter by your doctor. You must be under the care of a doctor who has you on an active plan of care for your disability. This doctor must write a letter to Medicaid stating that you are unable to work and to perform normal activities of daily living. If your condition is temporary, you should be able to receive Medicaid benefits for the length of time that your condition persists.

You must apply for Medicaid coverage. It can take up to six weeks to receive approval, although pregnant women can usually receive benefits from the time they apply. To receive Medicaid, you must provide several documents that verify your identity and your income. Some of these documents include a birth certificate and social security card as well as proof of your income, proof of any Social Security Disability benefits, and bank statements. Your paperwork will be reviewed and a decision will be made regarding Medicaid eligibility based on a statewide standard.

If you have been injured in an accident and are worried about how you can receive and afford medical care, you should call the Georgia Department of Community Health to see if you qualify for Medicaid coverage. You owe it to yourself and to your family to get the medical care you need.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Our Books

Have A Question? We Likely Have The Answer.

Your Nolo Profile

L. Ty WilsonReviewsout of 32 reviews


  • Awesome Lawyer and very helpful!

  • Mr. Wilson is truly a very good person who cares about people. I understand he selected this career but I do know he makes many sacrifices to help he’s clients. I am very grateful to have had him as my attorney and if I ever have to use one again (hopefully not) it will be Mr. Wilson.

  • He worked with me. He told me everything. He called me. He gave me all the information.

  • He will be my family lawyer from now until the end because I can trust him.

  • He's just a great guy.

  • He always calls you right back and even if it's on the weekend - he's going to call you back.

  • View All