Leaking carbon dioxide from the soda fountain appears to be the cause of death of an 80-year-old woman and the illness of eight other people at a Pooler McDonald’s.
According to an article in savannahnow.com, this incident is the third of its kind that has made people sick at McDonald’s restaurants nationwide in six years.
Ann Felton, 80, of Ponte Vedra, FL, died from asphyxiation caused by carbon dioxide leaking into the Pooler McDonald’s women’s restroom on September 7, 2011.
Per the Pooler police, a line used to release excess carbon dioxide out of the building became disconnected causing the gas to seep into the wall next to the restroom. Video shows the carbon dioxide tanks being refilled shortly before Felton and another woman, Carol Barry, 56, of Jacksonville, FL, were found unconscious in the restroom.
Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said that he was contacted by a Fire Dept. captain in Poenix advising him of a carbon dioxide leak that occurred at a Phoenix McDonald’s in May. Simmons thanks the Phoenix Fire Dept. for leading them in the right direction to find the cause of the Pooler incident.
OSHA is investigating the incident.
Our prayers remain with the family and friends of Ms. Felton after this very unfortunate event.
Ty Wilson is a Savannah premises liability lawyer who dedicates himself to assisting people who have been injured and the families of the injured. Because he also strongly believes in educating those who have been hurt, he has written several reports and books that he offers free of charge. Call his office at 1-888-689-5224.