As per an article in the Savannah Morning News on savannahnow.com, nine people were sent to the hospital Wednesday after experiencing respiratory problems likely resulting from a toxic mix of chemicals which were used to clean the bathrooms at a Pooler McDonald’s restaurant located near I-95 off US 80.
One of the injured, an 80-year-old woman, who was pulled from the bathroom of the McDonald’s on Wednesday, died Thursday morning at Memorial University Medical Center, according to the Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons. The woman’s name has not been released.
At about Noon on Wednesday, two women were found unconscious in a restroom at the Pooler McDonald’s. Firefighters gave one of the women CPR, and she was listed, as of Wednesday afternoon, in critical condition according to savannahnow.com.
The firefighters and Savannah Fire’s hazardous materials team were on site and worked at decontaminating all patrons and employees.
The restaurant was reopened later Wednesday afternoon.
Our prayers are with the elderly woman’s family and friends as well as with those who were sickened in this incident.
Ty Wilson is a Savannah injury lawyer and workers’ compensation attorney who strives to help the injured and their families as well as to educate them. He is the author of books and reports that he offers to the public free of charge. Call 1-888-689-5224.